MLS welcomes Lionel Messi
The MLS Spanish social media account 'opened’ their doors to the Argentine, who recently declared that he would like to play in the United States league.
Lionel Messi’s interview with journalist Jordi Évola, has been the focal point in the world of football this week. He spoke for little over an hour and towards the end of the interview the 33-year-old talked about his future, because his contract with FC Barcelona expires in the summer of 2021.
Messi said that even though he can officially start discussing his contract with other clubs ahead of the 2021/22 season, right now he is focused on winning a title with Barcelona this year. The Argentina superstar also stated that he will decide whether he will stay or leave by the end of the current season.
MLS an option for Messi
When Évola asked Messi about his future, the Argentine replied with the following: “I have always been intrigued about living in the United States and to play in Major League Soccer. I want to experience the league and live in the U.S., but to be honest I don’t know if it will happen because I am not talking about next year or the next.”
Shortly after, the MLS account in Spanish tweeted, “You will always be welcome here Leo.” There are few teams in the United States that can afford Messi due to the economic crisis the coronavirus pandemic has created and Inter Miami or New York City FC could be his next destination.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash