Inter Miami CF could be forced to change its name this year
Inter Milan won the first round over trademark battle with Inter Miami and this could force the Major League franchise to change its name prior to the beginning of the season.
Inter Miami CF had a successful debut in Major League Soccer after qualifying to the playoffs for the first time in their history. Unfortunately they lost in the first round of the MLS Cup playoffs in penalties against another debutant, Nashville SC.
Now co-owner David Beckham will take a more active role in the second season, because he wants Inter Miami to win the MLS Cup as soon as possible. Also they are trying to make a permanent move to Melreese Golf Course next to Miami International Airport, but they have encountered opposition from the community.
Legal battle continues in court
Another huge problem for David Beckham’s MLS franchise is the ongoing trademark battle between Inter Miami and Inter Milan. This Monday, the Serie A side won the first round in court and this presents another problem for the MLS side.
This is a legal battle that started in 2019 because in 2014 Inter Milan filed a trademark application with the United States Patent Trademark Office for the term “Inter” as it pertains to soccer.
On 9 December 2020, the USPTO ruled once again that Inter Miami’s likelihood of confusion count must be thrown out because Inter Miami failed to provide any sufficient link between MLS itself and any use of the word “Inter” that would give rise to consumer confusion.
It is not known if Inter Miami will be forced to change its name and re-brand the entire club, which will cost millions of dollars. These high-profile cases are usually settled in the boardroom, rather than the courtroom, but now Inter Miami is very threatened to be forced to change its name.
Te recomendamos en English
- Bundesliga Jadon Sancho sets Bundesliga assist record in Arminia win
- FOOTBALL Transfer news round-up: Liverpool eyeing Gerard return as Klopp exit looms
- BOXING Canelo finishes Yildirim in three rounds to retain world titles
- NBA Mavs snap Nets' eight-game winning streak, Embiid scores 42 but 76ers lose in OT
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT 2021 Will I be able to apply for a third stimulus check and $3000 child tax credit?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | How much, who qualifies, Child tax credit | Live