Barcelona: Messi fined for Maradona homage
The Spanish Football Federation's disciplinary committee handed Leo Messi and Barcelona fines for the Argentinean's tribute to Diego Maradona.
The Spanish Football Federation's disciplinary committee has handed out fines to Leo Messi and FC Barcelona for the Argentinean’s tribute to Diego Maradona during Barça’s 4-0 victory over Osasuna in November.
Maradona passed away on 25 November and Messi decided to honour his former Argentina manager and national icon by pulling off his Barça shirt after scoring against Osasuna to reveal a Newell’s jersey with Maradona’s number 10 on the back.
Barcelona's Messi appeal rejected
The RFEF appeals committee on Thursday upheld the decision of the disciplinary committee from 2 December for the yellow card Messi was shown in Camp Nou to stand and also fined the player €600, while also handing down a fine of €180 to Barcelona.
The Liga giants had appealed against the yellow card given the exceptional circumstances of Maradona’s death and Messi’s relationship with the former Barcelona and Newell’s attacking midfielder.
Recommended in English
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- NFL Mac Jones continues his case as best rookie QB of the season
- NFL Cam Newton’s dreams of being Panthers savior shattered
- SOCCER 2021 Ballon d'Or awards ceremony: times, TV, how to watch and stream