Barcelona: Messi fined for Maradona homage
The Spanish Football Federation's disciplinary committee handed Leo Messi and Barcelona fines for the Argentinean's tribute to Diego Maradona.
The Spanish Football Federation's disciplinary committee has handed out fines to Leo Messi and FC Barcelona for the Argentinean’s tribute to Diego Maradona during Barça’s 4-0 victory over Osasuna in November.
Maradona passed away on 25 November and Messi decided to honour his former Argentina manager and national icon by pulling off his Barça shirt after scoring against Osasuna to reveal a Newell’s jersey with Maradona’s number 10 on the back.
Barcelona's Messi appeal rejected
The RFEF appeals committee on Thursday upheld the decision of the disciplinary committee from 2 December for the yellow card Messi was shown in Camp Nou to stand and also fined the player €600, while also handing down a fine of €180 to Barcelona.
The Liga giants had appealed against the yellow card given the exceptional circumstances of Maradona’s death and Messi’s relationship with the former Barcelona and Newell’s attacking midfielder.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS In which states did unemployment claims increase last week?
- CONSTITUTION DAY When was the US Constitution signed?
- US NEWS How will Biden respond to the wave of migrants gathered under a Texas bridge?
- NFL New York Giants 29 vs 33 Washington Football Team summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2
- NFL Nick Gates breaks leg, New York Giants offensive linesman suffers fracture vs Washington
- MLB Angels’ Ohtani’s arm sore, may miss rest of season as pitcher