Have Packers, Bills, Chiefs & Buccaneers ever been in or won a Super Bowl?
There are four contenders for the 55th Super Bowl. All four teams have played at the Big Game before. One has yet to take home the Vince Lombardi Trophy.
There are four contenders left in the run-up to 55th installment of the Super Bowl. Advancing to the conference championship round are three of the NFL’s top four playoff seeds, the Saints met their fate at the hands of the Buccaneers. On the AFC side, the Chiefs will host the Bills at Arrowhead Stadium. On the NFC side, the Packers will host the Buccaneers at Lambeau Field.
All four teams have played at the Big Game at least once in their history, and all but one has taken home the Vince Lombardi Trophy at least once. The 55th Super Bowl will take place at the Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida on 7 February 2021.
The Buffalo Bills beat the Baltimore Ravens 17-3 to advance to the AFC championship. This will be their sixth appearance at the AFC championships winning a record four consecutive times, from 1991 to 1994, to advance to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately for the Bills they lost each of the four times in the Big Game, making them one of the teams to have lost the most times in the Super Bowl.
The Denver Broncos and New England Patriots have lost five times in the Super Bowl and the Bills tie the Minnesota Vikings for losses in the Super Bowl.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers began their franchise history in 1976 with a 0-14 record, and their second season didn’t go much better. Its 26-game losing streak remains an NFL record. But by 1979 the Bucs made it to their first NFC championship game, losing to the Rams denying them their first chance at the Big Game.
The Bucs have made it to the NFC championship game four times in the franchise's history. In 2002 the stars aligned and the team went on to win Super Bowl XXXVII, the only time the Bucs have brought home the Vince Lombardi trophy. The team did so in style tying the league record for the largest Super Bowl margin of victory trouncing the Oakland Raiders 48-21.
- When and where is Super Bowl LV 2021? - Date, location, teams & start time
- Mahomes and Chiefs to face Brady's Buccaneers in Super Bowl LV
- Buccaneers survive Brady's second-half slump to reach home Super Bowl
- How many times has Tom Brady played the Super Bowl?
- Buccaneers beat Packers to reach Super Bowl LV
- Which team has played more NFL conference finals?
- Super Bowl LV: Sarah Thomas set to be first female official
The Bucs beat the Saints in the divisional round 30-20 to advance to the NFC championships for the fifth time to face the Packers at Lambeau Field. Tom Brady will look to see if he can lead the Buccaneers to another Super Bowl.
Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs began their franchise history with a series of post-season successes. They won three AFL championships in 1962, 1966 and 1969. They went on to defeat the Minnesota Vikings, 23-7, in Super Bowl IV for their first title. After their initial success, the franchise went through a long dry spell in the post-season playoffs before they could return to the Big Game.
After defeating the Cleveland Browns 22-17, they will advance to the AFC championship game for the team’s sixth consecutive appearance. There are questions as to whether their quarterback Patrick Mahomes will be able to play after being put under concussion protocol in the third quarter of the division final game. Last year the team took home the Vince Lombardi trophy for the first time in 50 years in Super Bowl LIV, winning 31-20 over the San Francisco 49ers.
Green Bay Packers
Green Bay can boast that it is “Titletown USA” with the Packers bringing home more championships - 13 - than any other team in National Football League history, albeit it is one of the ten oldest teams in the league. The team has four Super Bowl titles under its belt as well. After beating the Rams 32-18 the team will host the Bucaneers at their home stadium hoping to go to the Big Game for a sixth time. The team’s quarterback Arron Rodgers will be hoping to take home his second Super Bowl ring.
Packer Super Bowl wins
- Super Bowl I 1967: 35-10 Kansas City Chiefs
- Super Bowl II 1968: 33-14 Las Vegas Raiders
- Super Bowl XXXI 1997: 35-21 New England Patriots
- Super Bowl XLV 2011: 31-25 Pittsburgh Steelers
Recommended in Nfl
- MLS LAFC back-to-back road victories after win over Austin FC
- GOLD CUP Will there be fans at the Gold Cup? What are the Covid-19 restrictions?
- Euro 2020 Golden Boot standings: who are the top scorers?
- PSG Ramos speaks after PSG make signing official
- UFC When was Conor McGregor's last UFC fight, and what was the result?
- UFC What were the results of McGregor vs Poirier 1 and 2?