Man United have 'open dialogue' with Pogba over future, says Solskjaer
Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer suggested Paul Pogba could sign a new contract with the Premier League club.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes Paul Pogba is happy at Manchester United and said an "open dialogue" remained over a possible extension.
The France international's future has been a constant talking point amid links with Real Madrid and a possible return to Juventus.
Pogba, 27, is contracted at United until 2022, but his agent Mino Raiola said late last year the midfielder was unhappy at Old Trafford and had to leave.
United manager Solskjaer said Pogba was happy at United and suggested a fresh deal was possible.
"We've got a good open dialogue with Paul so what we talk about and how we see that situation remains between us," he told reporters.
"I'm just happy he's focused and playing really well. He's happy within himself and that's important. You can see Paul enjoying football himself with a red shirt on.
"Our conversations remain private, of course. But for example, Paul is a Manchester United player through and through. He's been here in two spells. He came as a kid, he's learnt about the history of the club, the passion of the club.
"He wants to do the best for United when he's here and I think we've seen that – that he really cares for his team and he's trying to be as successful as everyone else."
While some of Pogba's passing numbers are down, his possession won in final third (0.8 per 90 minutes) and interceptions (1.2) in the Premier League are at their highest since he returned to United in 2016.
Match-winning goals for United
Pogba also scored match-winners against Burnley and Fulham last month and Solskjaer praised the midfielder's recent performances.
"The answer is Paul has really knuckled down, he's worked hard, he's got his fitness," he said.
"I have said this many a time he had a bad season last season with injuries and he had COVID this season and an injury, but he really works hard and is playing in a team that plays well and he's a big inspiration for everyone."
United can move level on points with Premier League leaders and rivals Manchester City with a win over Everton on Saturday.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?