Al Ahly players targeting third place following Bayern defeat
The African CAF Champions' squad spoke about their ambitions after their loss in the CWC semi-final to Champions League winners Bayern Munich.
African champions Al Ahly went down to a 2-0 defeat to UEFA champions Bayern Munich in the FIFA Club World Cup semi-final in Qatar, but the Red Devils haven't lost hope and are seeking to secure third place in the competition when they face Brazilian side Palmeiras.
A brace from Robert Lewandowski saw Bayern seal their qualification for the final of the tournament where they will take on Tigres UANL, who reached the title decider with wins over Ulsan Hyundai and Palmeiras.
El Shenawy: we were on a par with UEFA champions
Al Ahly's shot-stopper Mohamed El Shenawy, who has been in great shape during his team's two games, thanked his teammates and praised their performance and spirit in the clash against the European champions.
"We did everything we could in the game, congratulations to Bayern Munich on reaching the final game". El Shenawy told the media.
"We played a very good game that can be a lesson for us later on; I want to thank the players who were up to the occasion and delivered an excellent performance. They are European champions and a tough opponent".
Taher: we will fight for the Bronze medal
Winger Taher Mohamed Taher also stressed that although Al Ahly were unable to trouble Manuel Neuer's goal they will strive to take the game to Palmeiras to snatch the Bronze medal.
Striker Mahmoud Kahraba reiterated what his teammate said, noting the group will now stay focused on the next fixture after giving the European champions and firm pre-tournament favorites a run for their money.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness