Celtic boss Neil Lennon resigns with Rangers on brink of title
Celtic manager Neil Lennon has resigned following Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Ross County - a result which left the Hoops 18 points behind Rangers.
Neil Lennon has resigned as Celtic manager with bitter rivals Rangers closing in on the Scottish Premiership title. The Hoops are 18 points adrift of Steven Gerrard's side after Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Ross County, leaving their hopes of a 10th consecutive championship in tatters.
Celtic issue statement on Lennon
Celtic confirmed on Wednesday that Lennon, who won the league twice after returning in May 2019, has brought his second spell at the helm to an end.
"We have experienced a difficult season due to so many factors and, of course, it is very frustrating and disappointing that we have not been able to hit the same heights as we did previously," the 49-year-old told the club's official website. "I have worked as hard as ever to try and turn things around, but unfortunately we have not managed to get the kind of run going that we have needed. I have always given my best to the club and have been proud to deliver silverware to the Celtic supporters."
Celtic Football Club today announced that Neil Lennon has resigned from his position as Football Manager with immediate effect.— Celtic Football Club (@CelticFC) February 24, 2021
We thank Neil sincerely for all he has done for the club and we wish him every success going forward.
Kennedy steps up
Lennon's return to Celtic also yielded two Scottish Cups and a League Cup, having won the former twice in his first stint, along with three league titles. Assistant manager John Kennedy will take interim charge of the team, with Celtic hosting Aberdeen on Saturday.
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops