Edson Alvarez earning starting spot with Ajax
The Mexican international has earned a starting role in Ajax this season and this weekend he helped his team defeat FC Groningen in the Eredivisie.
In 22 July 2019, Ajax paid Club América $16.50 million for Edson Alvarez who was expected to earn a starting role upon arrival. The Mexican international had a hard time adapting to the Eredivisie, usually coming on as a substitute towards the end of the games.
Due to his lack of minutes in his first season, it was rumored that he could return to América to gain playing time, but Alvarez decided to stay with the Eredivisie side. After two years of adapting to the style of play at Ajax, he has become a key player in the 2020/21 campaign.
Regular starter this season
So far he has 16 appearances and two assists in the current season. In the current season he has been in the squad on 24 occasions, starting 10, substituted in 6 and left on the bench 8 times. On Sunday, played the entire 90 minutes in Ajax’ 3-1 victory against FC Groningen on matchday 25 at the Amsterdam ArenA.
Ajax is currently at the top of the table with 60 points and a record of 19-3-2. Their next match will be against Young Boys for the first leg of the round of 16 of the Europa League. In this tournament Alvarez has played two games and he started both of them for a total of 180 minutes.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona feel cheated by Neymar
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Negotiations taking place over moving Champions League final to the UK
- Coronavirus Why do vaccines make you feel ill?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket: where it fell, in what country and what happened to remains of the Long March 5B
- LATEST NEWS Times Square shooting: what happened and who was shot?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket Long March 5B: why was it out of control and falling?