Edson Alvarez earning starting spot with Ajax
The Mexican international has earned a starting role in Ajax this season and this weekend he helped his team defeat FC Groningen in the Eredivisie.
In 22 July 2019, Ajax paid Club América $16.50 million for Edson Alvarez who was expected to earn a starting role upon arrival. The Mexican international had a hard time adapting to the Eredivisie, usually coming on as a substitute towards the end of the games.
Due to his lack of minutes in his first season, it was rumored that he could return to América to gain playing time, but Alvarez decided to stay with the Eredivisie side. After two years of adapting to the style of play at Ajax, he has become a key player in the 2020/21 campaign.
Regular starter this season
So far he has 16 appearances and two assists in the current season. In the current season he has been in the squad on 24 occasions, starting 10, substituted in 6 and left on the bench 8 times. On Sunday, played the entire 90 minutes in Ajax’ 3-1 victory against FC Groningen on matchday 25 at the Amsterdam ArenA.
Ajax is currently at the top of the table with 60 points and a record of 19-3-2. Their next match will be against Young Boys for the first leg of the round of 16 of the Europa League. In this tournament Alvarez has played two games and he started both of them for a total of 180 minutes.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?