$1,400 third stimulus check: do I qualify for a direct payment?
As part of President Biden's $1.9tn coronavirus relief package, a third round of stimulus checks is being distributed to qualifying Americans.
The eligibility requirements for the $1,400 third stimulus check, which is being distributed as part of President Joe Biden’s $1.9tn coronavirus relief bill, are very similar to those applied to the first and second direct payments.
Third stimulus check eligibility requirements
As was the case in the opening two rounds of stimulus checks - which are officially known as Economic Impact Payments or EIPs - the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) says you should qualify as long as:
- you (and your spouse if you file taxes jointly) are a US citizen or US resident alien
- you are not listed as a dependent on anyone else’s most recent tax return (2019 or 2020)
- your gross annual income in your most recent tax return (2019 or 2020) did not exceed $75,000 for individuals; $112,500 for people who file taxes as head of household; or $150,000 for joint filers
Lower final phase-out limit
However, eligibility has been narrowed when it comes to distributing smaller checks to Americans whose earnings are over those initial income caps.
On this occasion, individuals on above $80,000 a year, heads of household who earn more than $120,000 and joint filers with income over $160,000 do not qualify for any kind of payment.
$1,400 extra credit for dependents of all ages
One area where eligibility is broader than the previous stimulus checks, though, is additional credits for households with dependents: Americans who qualify for an EIP will get an extra payment for dependents of any age - not just for those under 17.
What’s more, they will receive $1,400 per dependent - significantly more than the $500 and $600 available in the first and second rounds of checks, respectively.
Nearly 130 million third stimulus checks sent out
On Wednesday, the IRS announced that another 37 million third stimulus checks were distributed in the US last week, taking the total number of EIPs paid out under Biden’s relief package to around 127 million.
The IRS will continue to send out checks "on a weekly basis", the agency has said.
Track your stimulus check with Get My Payment
Americans can use the IRS’ Get My Payment portal to track the status of their stimulus check.
Third stimulus check: live updates
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Chiefs record 12th successive win over Broncos
- NFL What happened with Ravens' failed two-point conversion against the Steelers in Week 13
- NFL Patrick Mahomes on what the Kansas City Chiefs need
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Casemiro in no doubt that Mbappé is compatible with Vinicius
- MANCHESTER UNITED Chris Armas: who is the US coach set to join Manchester United?