Among Us: how to download and play for free on mobile, PC, Mac
The online multiplayer game which drew hundreds of millions of gamers is getting a new update. Here's how to download Among Us for free on PC, Mac and mobile.
Among Us was one of the biggest gaming sensations of 2020 as the deceptively simple multiplayer title racked up well over 200 million downloads. With around two million concurrent players at times it brought in tens of millions of dollars in revenue for developer InnerSloth, who make the game freely available.
That sensational success is far from over and the developers are working on a completely new look with more gameplay options and updates available in the near future. Here’s everything you need to know about Among Us in 2021.
What is Among Us?
Among Us was first released nearly three years ago but its popularity really sky-rocketed during the second half of 2020 with millions around the world stuck at home. The simple InnerSloth title - which has spawned a number of clones – lets players attempt to outwit their opponents in this space-themed, online game. It has even made it way to the corridors of power with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, better known as congresswoman AOC, quite literally killing it in front of a massive Twitch audience.
Whether working collaboratively to help your crew achieve objectives or throwing a spanner in the works in the role of the imposter, you'll need your wits about you.
🚨 #TheAirship is OUT NOW 🚨— Among Us - The Airship out now! (@AmongUsGame) March 31, 2021
Welcome aboard! Play the new, free Among Us update featuring:
⭐️ New tasks, hats, and areas to explore
⭐️ Accounts for reporting
⭐️ Our biggest map yet
Work together and carry out the greatest plan - whether that's as a Crewmate or Impostor. pic.twitter.com/2GmQIxzQSd
If you want the chance to test your skills of deception against players all over the world, what are you waiting for? Among Us is available for free via the app store of your iOS or Android mobile device, or can be downloaded from Steam for a small fee.
Anyone playing on PC and Mac is expected to use the Stream option but there is a legal way to do so for free. Read on for a step-by-step guide on how to do so.
How to download and play Among Us for free on PC and Mac
1. Download and install the BlueStacks Android emulator on PC or Mac
2: After setup, enter your Google Play Store account
3: From Home tab, go to Google Play Store and search for Among Us
4: Install Among Us
5: Once the download is complete, away you go!
This emulator can also be used for a whole host of other titles, but we recommend always using official applications offered by the development company itself in order to avoid any potential issues. However there are other similar emulators like GameLoop which allow you to enjoy titles like Call of Duty Mobile on your PC (Windows 10) completely free of charge.
If you’d rather try your luck at Among Us on the go, the game is available to download for free from your mobile device’s app store.
When is Among Us 2 being released?
Among Us became the gaming phenomenon of 2020 after surpassing 200 million downloads and achieving the Best Multiplayer and Best Mobile Game in The Game Awards 2020. After this success InnerSloth suggested that they were in the process of developing a new game, but it now looks like players will have to settle for new updates instead.
InnerSloth say that they have “completely updated the art style with cleaner lines and an easier animation process.” The lobby size has been increased to 15 players and there will be more frequent updates in future to keep the game fresh.
What else is coming to Among Us?
An exciting new ‘Airship’ map has just been released giving player a fourth venue to choose from. The new updates will also bring new content in terms of gameplay like tasks, different starting rooms and mechanics such as the use of ladders.
Additional tasks will see players have to empty out the trash and polishing jewels, all while keeping an eye on the rest of their ‘team’.
- Arrows or WASD - Moving
- E or Space - Use
- Q - Kill
- R - Report body
- Mouse - Minigame and menu interactions
- Alt+Enter - Toggle fullscreen
In the options, you can also choose to use mouse only, which mirrors mobile controls.
Among Us: what's it all about?
Get ready to prepare your spaceship for departure as you take the challenge along with up to 15 players who make up the Crew, and connect online or via a local Wi-Fi. But not everyone can be trusted.
There are Imposters amid your ranks, at least one but maybe more, with the sole intention of preventing you achieving your goals. It’s up to you to decide who to trust in this game of deception. If you want a truly interactive experience voice chat can be enabled so you can interrogate the suspects.
How do you win Among Us?
The crew: you and your team must work together to fill up the group task bar, or hope that you uncover the imposter before you‘re all killed
- Win by completing tasks to prepare the ship or ejecting all Impostors.
- React quickly to undo the Impostor's sabotages.
- Check the Admin map and Security cameras to keep tabs on other Crewmates.
- Report any dead bodies immediately to start discussion of who the suspected Impostor is.
- Call emergency meetings to discuss suspicious behaviour
- Vote to eject suspected Impostors.
The imposter: your objective is simple, kill off the group and frame everyone else for your actions!
- Kill crewmates and frame bystanders.
- Pretend to run tasks to blend in with the crewmates.
- Sneak through the vents to quickly move about the ship.
- Use sabotages to cause chaos and divide the crew.
- Close doors to trap victims and kill in private.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?