Tottenham-Manchester United: Iran TV censor over 100 times
The television broadcaster in the recent Premier League clash chose to show images of the stadium's exterior rather than the offensive alternative.
It may be the 21st century but countries around the globe still have very different attitudes to life. Another example of this was related to the recent Premier League encounter between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United, where Iranian television cut away from the match during play more than a hundred times. And this censorship was reportedly nothing to do with football.
Female legs chopped for Iranian viewers
The concern for the Iranian television decision makers were that the legs of Sian Massey-Ellis, the assistant referee of the match, were being shown to viewers. She was, naturally, wearing the correct uniform for her job, a pair of shorts. And for this reason, anyone watching the broadcaster’s coverage was instead shown a generic image of the stadium and surrounding streets.
My Stealthy Freedom, a civil rights group in the country who campaign against gender discrimination, made the claim that television censors were ‘rattled’ to see the female assistant referee wearing shorts.
“The television censors were rattled by the presence of a female referee in shorts,” they posted. “Their solution was to cut away from the action to views of London's backstreets, which made a mockery of the game.
“At the end of the game, one of the commentators joked that he hoped the viewers enjoyed the geographic show.
“Censorship is in the DNA of the Islamic Republic of Iran. We should not normalise this practice. This is not our culture. This is the ideology of a repressive regime.”
At the end of the match, one of the commentators joked that he hoped the fans had enjoyed the "geographical spectacle" they had been shown during the match.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22