United held at Leeds but maintain unbeaten away record
Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds proved too difficult to break down for Man United in an entertaining game at Elland Road. The only thing it lacked was goals.
Second-placed Manchester United edged closer towards qualification for the Champions League, the tournament their owners tried to break away from on last week, with a goalless draw at Leeds United in the Premier League on Sunday.
The point left Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side 12 points clear of fifth-placed West Ham United with five games of the season remaining. Manchester City are top of the table on 77 points, 10 ahead of United.
Manchester United were one of 12 top European clubs who last week announced they were setting up a breakaway Super League before the plan rapidly fell apart. United, like the other founder members would have featured in the competition every year without the need for qualification.
United, second on 67 points
There were few chances at Elland Road in what was a physical clash, the visitors going closest to scoring through a dipping free kick from Marcus Rashford just before half-time which was tipped over by Leeds keeper Illan Meslier. As always, Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds were energetic and determined but they too struggled to create openings with their best effort a deflected Helder Costa shot which flew just over the bar.
Manchester United won the reverse fixture 6-2 earlier this season. A plane carrying a slogan against United's owners, the American Glazer family, flew over the stadium before kickoff.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: IOC apologize after Ukraine and ROC confusion
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Tokyo Olympics: USA star Korda sizzles in the heat while flirting with 59
- NFL Trey Lance bringing the best out of Jimmy Garoppolo at 49ers
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Megan Rapinoe and Carli Lloyd earn bronze for USA in thriller
- Tokyo Olympics Tokyo Olympics: Reaching the start line was a miracle – Johnson-Thompson explains injury fightback
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a Marathon? How far is it in miles?