How many batches of stimulus checks have been sent?
The distribution of the third Economic Impact Payment continues across the US, but how many batches of stimulus checks have actually been sent out?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) continues to distribute the third round of stimulus checks to Americans as part of President Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan, the latest relief package to help with the coronavirus pandemic.
US stimulus news:
Third stimulus checks: the distribution continues
This third payment provides eligible individual taxpayers for a check of up to $1,400, while couples filing jointly can receive a maximum of $2,800. In addition, families with dependents may be eligible for an extra payment of $1,400 per dependent, regardless of the dependent's age. It should also be remembered that there is no limit to the number of dependents eligible for this payment. (Full details of eligibility and payments).
How many stimulus cheque batches have been sent out?
So far - up to 25 April - the IRS has sent out six batches of stimulus checks pertaining to this third payment. With this, the government agency has paid out money to over 161 million Americans, which equates to a total of $379 billion in economic assistance.
The IRS has also been issuing additional stimulus payments known as 'plus-up' payments. These batches are sent out on a weekly basis to all those Americans whose total amount of the third stimulus check was based on their 2019 tax return, but who, thanks to the already processed 2020 return, are eligible for a larger payment.
Will there be a fourth stimulus check?
Since March 2020, the US government has authorised three rounds of stimulus checks, the first - as part of the CARES Act - being $1,200 for individuals and $2,400 for couples, and the second was $600 for individuals and $1,200 for couples.
On the back of the third round of payments, pressure has been mounting on President Biden to get a fourth, or recurring, check out to people as many continue to struggle with the impact of the pandemic. Nothing has yet been confirmed, but there are many in Congress trying to make this a reality, potentially for the issuing of a check to the value of $2,000 per individual.
Third stimulus check: latest updates
You can get the latest information on the third stimulus check, and updates on the possibility of a fourth direct payment, by following our dedicated live blog.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?