"Gignac played an important role in my decision to come to Tigres” - Florian Thauvin
The 2018 FIFA World Cup winner with the French national team talked about why he decided to leave Olympique Marseille to join the Liga MX side.
Florian Thauvin has become the player to watch ahead of the start of the 2021 Apertura tournament in the Liga MX. The 2018 FIFA World Cup winner with the French national team decided not to renew his contract with Ligue 1 side Olympique Marseille to continue his career with Tigres UANL and join his compatriot André-Pierre Gignac next tournament.
Gignac influenced his decision
The 28-years-old had spent four seasons with Olympique Marseille and he was an important player for the French side. During the 2020/21 campaign he tallied 8 goals and 10 assists in 44 appearances across all competitions, including the group stage of the UEFA Champions League.
Prior to making his trip to Monterrey, Mexico and starting the process of adaptation, Thauvin said he had several other offers on the table, but his compatriot André-Pierre Gignac influenced his decision. Gignac has broken many records in the Liga MX since arriving in 2015 and he has become one of the best and most liked players in Mexican football.
“I had the opportunity to remain in Europe, but the most important thing is to enjoy football. I have always been in love with Latin America and I wanted to experience the passion they have for the sport. Gignac played an important role in my decision and it was him who called me and talked to me about the project they have. I got excited right away and at the end it was an easy decision for me,” said Thauvin.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: IOC apologize after Ukraine and ROC confusion
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Tokyo Olympics: USA star Korda sizzles in the heat while flirting with 59
- NFL Trey Lance bringing the best out of Jimmy Garoppolo at 49ers
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Megan Rapinoe and Carli Lloyd earn bronze for USA in thriller
- Tokyo Olympics Tokyo Olympics: Reaching the start line was a miracle – Johnson-Thompson explains injury fightback
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a Marathon? How far is it in miles?