Christian Pulisic to start against Honduras in the Nations League semi final
USMNT coach Gregg Behalter is planning to start the Champions League winner in the semi final against Honduras on 3 June.
The United States men’s national team (USMNT) lost 2-1 to Switzerland over the weekend in their only preparation match before facing Honduras in the semi final of the CONCACAF Nations League. In that game the USMNT boss Gregg Berhalter couldn’t count on two of his best players, Christian Pulisic of Manchester City and Zack Steffen of Chelsea.
Both Americans were not included in the roster as their clubs were competing in the Champions League Final last Saturday (29 May). Chelsea defeated City 1-0, a game in which Pulisic almost scored the Blues' second not long after coming on in the 66th minute. Meanwhile, as City second-choice goalkeeper, Steffen did not play a part in the final and had to watch on agonizingly as his team were unable to find an equalizer.
Ready to join the USMNT roster
Both players flew from Portugal to Denver, Colorado to join the USMNT squad that will face Honduras on 3 June, with Berhalter saying that “it would be very difficult to keep Pulisic out of the starting lineup against Honduras.”
In absence of Chelsea’s No 10, Berhalter filled the wing spots with Gio Reyna and Brenden Aaroson in the 2-1 loss to Switzerland. Both players impressed the USMNT boss, but he will have to sacrifice one of them to start Pulisic on Thursday.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS How can I register to vote in New Jersey?
- USMNT Christian Pulisic is ‘really suffering’ after ankle injury setbacks
- MLS Landon Donovan rejects the Real Salt Lake managerial job
- SOCCER Barcelona close to agreeing new Ansu Fati contract - Koeman
- NBA Milwaukee Bucks 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades
- NBA Los Angeles Lakers 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades