Lucas Vázquez renews with Real Madrid until 2024
The Galician winger extends his contract by three years with a pay rise - five million euros per year. He turned down offers from PSG, Bayern and Napoli.
Lucas Vázquez has decided to stay at Real Madrid. The Galician winger has renewed his contract with the club until June 2024, adding three years onto his existing contract. Negotiations have been going on for some time but a new deal was reached when Madrid raised their initial offer, in recognition of Lucas' contribution to the team last season in which he was one of Zidane's key players up until he fell injured during the Clásico following a nasty tackle by Sergio Busquets.
There were a few tense moments during the talks between the player's agents and the club. Madrid originally offered a three-year extension with the same wages - three million euros net per season, which would be subject to a 10% reduction - a pay cut which Madrid have requested from all of the players who have been offered new deals, including Luka Modric (who renewed until 2022) and Sergio Ramos, whose situation remains unresolved. Lucas Vázquez's excellent performances last season persuaded the club to make an effort and raise their offer to five million euros per year, after tax - with the 10% knocked off to help Madrid get through the financial hardship of the pandemic, during which their income has plummeted by 25%.
The club appreciated Lucas Vázquez's willingness to get his situation sorted out and how he maintained his performance levels out on the pitch during a difficult season. He showed great versatility in filling in at right-back when all of Zidane's regular defenders were out injured.
Renewing terms with Real Madrid was always Lucas Vázquez's first option. He received interest from a number of big clubs, including PSG, Bayern Munich and Napoli, but told all of them that he would only study offers if Madrid decided not to renew his contract.
Carlo Ancelotti's expected return to Madrid was also a factor in Lucas' contract extension. While he never played under the Italian during the coach's first spell at the club, he has only heard good reports about what he is like to work with from Modric and Ramos and that only convinced him more to stay. Lucas with turn 30 on 1 July, and with his new contract, he will complete his time at Madrid just before his 33rd birthday.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?