Will Floyd Mayweather Jr fight again?
Floyd Mayweather Jr and Logan Paul went the full eight rounds in an exhibition match in Miami on Sunday – could it be the boxing legend’s last fight?
Floyd Mayweather Jr and Logan Paul went the full eight rounds in an exhibition match in Miami on Sunday – it was the latest in a series of comeback fights for the boxing legend who has retired on numerous occasions only to be lured back to the ring. Before Sunday’s bout, Mayweather’s most recent clash was an exhibition fight with kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in December 2018 and prior to that, his last professional bout before leaving the circuit was against Conor McGregor in August 2017.
Mayweather now in his mid-40s
He has retired three times and having turned 44 in February, it is possible that last night’s fight with Paul may well definitively be his last. He certainly hinted as much when he spoke to reporters after last night's eight-round contest. "I'm not 21 anymore but it's good to run around with these younger guys. He's a tough competitor, it was good action, had fun, I was surprised by him. Good work. I had fun, I'm pretty sure he had fun and hopefully fans enjoyed it."
During the last four years, Mayweather has only been coaxed out of retirement for exhibition fights and has no other boxing commitments scheduled for the remainder of this year. After having raked in a reported $100m for the Logan fight, it’s not as if he really needs to be out and about making money.
That means he will be at least 45 years old by the time he is next offered an opportunity to step back into the ring. That is by no means old for a boxer to make a comeback – George Foreman, Roberto Duran and Larry Holmes remained active when they were much older than Mayweather is now. Ultimately it will be up to Mayweather himself to decide whether to come out of retirement for a fourth time or bow out on a high, at the top, with a flawless record of 50-0 in professional fights and 1-0 in exhibition fights intact.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?