What is next for the Mexico national team?
After losing the CONCACAF Nations League final against the United States, ‘El Tri’ must now focus on their next two tournaments this summer.
The Mexico national team suffered their first big loss this year after failing to win the CONCACAF Nations League final. ‘El Tri’ lost 3-2 in extra time against the United States Men’s national team, with their captain Andrés Guardado missing a penalty right at the end of extra-time.
Mexico must move on
Gerardo Martino's team has to turn the page quickly, because they have two major tournaments ahead this summer. First the Tokyo Olympics and then the CONCACAF Gold Cup. The Mexico national team has a series of friendlies scheduled before the start of the two tournaments.
Mexico will play against Honduras on 12 June at the Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. Then they will play against Panama at the Nissan stadium on 30 June and their last exhibition match will be against Nigeria on 3 July at the Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California.
The Gold Cup for ‘El Tri’ will begin on 10 July with a rival that is to be determined and the youth national team will start the Olympic tournament on 21 July. After the conclusion of both tournaments the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers are scheduled to begin in September.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?