Arsenal give up on move for Ødegaard
According to The Athletic, the Norwegian was their number one summmer target, but have backed out after learning of his intention to stay at Madrid.
Arsenal had Martin Ødegaard as their number one target for the summer transfer window. The Norwegian's strong performances on loan had convinced Mikel Arteta and the Gunners board, who were planning to make an offer for the Real Madrid player. However, things have changed and, according to The Athletic, the intention to sign him this summer has vanished. Ødegaard has decided he wants to return to Real for the 2021/22 campaign.
The 22-year-old, who asked to leave in the winter transfer window after a difficult spell on the sidelines under Zinedine Zidane, hopes to see more game time with the arrival of Carlo Ancelotti. Although he is happy in London, his dream has always been to succeed in white and he hopes to do so next season.
The Athletic also reports that Arsenal were willing to make an offer this summer given the player's desire to stay with the club, but everything has changed with the arrival of a new manager. The Spanish club are counting on Ødegaard as part of their plans under the recently appointed Ancelotti.
Ødegaard requested his loan move in January having only played on nine occasions in LaLiga and the Champions League. The club, with Zidane at the helm, tried to convince him to stay, but his decision was firm and he ended up leaving.
Arsenal look to Lokonga
Arsenal are currently looking for alternative options. They have already set their sights on Sambi Lokonga, the 21-year-old Anderlecht midfielder who has made 37 appearances for the Belgian side this term, scoring three goals and providing two assists. He is a more affordable option (€20 million) and Anderlecht need to sell to recoup some of the losses they have suffered this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Alexander-Arnold signs long-term extension with Liverpool
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TRACK AND FIELD How many olympic medals has Allyson Felix won in her career?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT 2(4)-2(2) Netherlands summary: score, goals, highlights | Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes