Why is Nicola Jokic declining to play with Serbia in Tokyo OIympics?
After a legendary season, NBA MVP Nicola Jokic has decided he will not be playing in the Olympics the summer. Jokic won silver with Serbia in 2016 in Rio.
After being knocked out of the Western Conference semifinals, the newly named NBA MVP Nicola Jokic has announced he will not be in Tokyo this summer. The Serbian has withdrawn from his national team for this summer’s Olympic Games.
MVP Jokic pulls out of Tokyo Olympics
The Denver Nuggets were swept by the Suns in the conference semis. Nicola Jokic was left to carry the brunt of the load, not just in the post season but since Jamal Murray tore his ACL in April.
The MVP of the league averaged 25.9 points, 11.3 rebounds, and 6.4 assists in the playoffs. Jokic led the Nuggets through the first round, but was contained by the Phoenix Suns. Jokic didn’t see the end of the series after being ejected with a flagrant two in the Game 4.
Denver’s Nikola Jokic announced in his native Serbia today that he will not play for the national team in Olympic qualifying or if they earn a spot in Tokyo after two grueling NBA seasons back-to-back with little break.— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) June 16, 2021
Silver for Serbia in Rio 2016
Jokic won silver at the 2016 Olympics, but will not be joining his countrymen in late July as they make another medal run.
The two time All-NBA First team selection broke the news to Serbian state news agency Tanjug, “To my great regret, this is the moment when I have to announce that despite my great desire, I am not able to play for the national team," said Jokic. “Simply, the condition of my body requires a longer absence from the court to recover. I have to accept that. I am sure that the guys have the quality to make a result without me, which will bring us all a lot of joy."
Jokic played in every one of the Denver Nuggets’ 72 game regular season. After a shortened preseason due to complications from Covid the MVP has decided to rest this offseason.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Alexander-Arnold signs long-term extension with Liverpool
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TRACK AND FIELD How many olympic medals has Allyson Felix won in her career?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT 2(4)-2(2) Netherlands summary: score, goals, highlights | Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes