Efraín Álvarez to replace Rodolfo Pizarro in Mexico Gold Cup squad
The Inter Miami CF designated player suffered a groin injury and will not recover in time to participate in the 2021 Gold Cup.
Rodolfo Pizarro will not be included in the final roster of the Mexico national team that will participate in the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup next month. The Inter Miami midfielder suffered a groin injury and he will not recover in time for the event that starts on 10 July for ‘El Tri.’
Efraín Álvarez to take his place
The coach of the Mexico national team, Gerardo Martino, will not risk having an injured player in his final roster, so Efraín Álvarez will take his place. The Argentine boss will call up the LA Galaxy midfielder this week to join the camp ahead of the two warm-up games against Panama (30 June) and Nigeria (3 July).
Álvarez is showing a lot of progress in his third season in Major League Soccer. The 19-year-old scored the winning goal for the LA Galaxy against Vancouver Whitecaps last Wednesday in week nine of the regular season.
Álvarez has officially committed to the Mexican national team, according to Martino, and he wants to debut in an official tournament with ‘El Tri.’ The Mexico national team arrived in Los Angeles, California last week and they are practising at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson. They will be flying to Tennessee early this week for their exhibition match against Panama on Wednesday.
Recommended in English
- NBA | SUNS Streaking Suns keeping eyes on NBA prize as record looms
- NBA Curry salutes Klay Thompson after latest Warriors masterclass
- NFL When was the last time the Pittsburgh Steelers won a Super Bowl? How many have they won?
- SOCCER Real Madrid vs Sevilla: times, TV and how to watch online
- LIGA MX Club América vs Pumas UNAM summary: score, goals, highlights, Liga MX Apertura
- MLS ‘Chofis’ López extends his loan with San Jose Earthquakes