When will the 2021 tax holiday be?
Multiple states will be having tax free weekends in July and August - find out when yours is.
What states are included?
- Alabama (7/16 - 7/18)
- Arkansas (8/07 - 8/08)
- Connecticut (8/15 - 8/21)
- Florida (7/31 - 8/09)
- Iowa (8/06 - 8/07)
- Maryland (8/08 - 8/14)
- Massachusetts (8/14 - 8/15)
- Mississippi (7/30 - 7/31)
- Missouri (8/06 - 8/08)
- New Mexico (8/06 - 8/08)
- Ohio (8/06 - 8/08)
- Oklahoma (8/06 - 8/08)
- South Carolina (8/06 - 8/08)
- Tennessee (7/30 - 8/01)
- Texas (8/06 - 8/08)
- West Virginia (7/30 - 8/02)
- Virginia (8/06 - 8/08)
What items are included in the sales?
While they vary state to state, most of the items included in the tax reduction are school based, such as stationery and folders. However, some states include some expensive products in their qualifying items such as computers and software:
- Alabama, computers and software purchased for $750 or less.
- Arkansas, laptops, eReaders, tablets and computers amongst a host of tech items.
- Florida, first $1,000 of sales tax for computers are exempt.
- Massachusetts, all items as long as each item is $2,500 or less.
- Missouri, computers that are $1,500 or less.
- New Mexico, computers under $1,000 and computer peripherals under $500.
- South Carolina, computers, printers and software, including those bought online.
- Tennessee, computers that are $1,500 or less.
- Virginia, laptops and tablets that are $500 or less.
Learn more about the new Child Tax Credit and how it can affect you:
- $3000/$3600 Child Tax Credit: Can I just get one month and opt out?
- Why do I get $300/$250 from Child Tax Credit and not $3,600/$3,000?
- Child Tax Credit: what is the income limit for joint filers, single filers and heads of household?
- $3000/$3600 Child tax credit: how to check if it has been received and track its status
Why do the tax-free weekends exist?
For many states on this list the reasons are for back to school preparation. With the new school year approaching, the tax-free weekends give parents and students some support in acquiring school items.
That is not to say they are the only ones who can utilise the weekends. These discounts apply to all shoppers.
However, some states have multiple tax-free holidays a year but for different reasons.
For example, Florida has two more tax-free weekends. These are in place so people can prepare for natural disasters. those were back in May and June. Other states which experience disasters such as Texas and Alabama have extra breaks as well.
Te recomendamos en English
- TENNIS Emma Raducanu "hungry" to improve after US Open win
- US NEWS What did Simone Biles say in her testimony to the FBI regarding Larry Nassar allegations?
- Jacksonville Jaguars "No chance" - Jaguars coach Urban Meyer rules out return to college football with USC
- SOCCER FIFA survey shows majority of fans back more frequent World Cups
- NBA Lisa Byington makes history as Milwaukee Bucks announcer
- MLB MLB round-up: Bichette matches career high and Ray fans 13 for Jays, Giants streak snapped