Real Madrid defender David Alaba tests positive for covid-19
David Alaba was officially unveiled as a Real Madrid player last week, but he will now have to isolate after a positive covid-19 test.
Real Madrid have confirmed new signing David Alaba has tested positive for coronavirus.
Alaba, who played in all of Austria's Euro 2020 matches, agreed to join Madrid following the expiration of his contract with Bayern Munich, where he had spent his entire career, winning 27 trophies.
Alaba replaces Ramos
The 29-year-old – who has taken Madrid's number four shirt vacated by Sergio Ramos – was officially unveiled at the Santiago Bernabeu on July 21.
However, his pre-season preparations have been hit by a positive covid-19 test.
Madrid revealed the news in a brief statement on their official website. They did not clarify whether Alaba was asymptomatic.
Benzema tests positive
Alaba, who has signed a five-year deal with Los Blancos, is the second Madrid player to test positive in as many weeks, after Karim Benzema also contracted the virus.
With Madrid having agreed to sell Raphael Varane to Manchester United, Alaba is set to lead a new-look defence this season.
Carlo Ancelotti's team were beaten 2-1 by Rangers in a pre-season friendly on Sunday – Alaba did not feature, but has been training with the squad.
Te recomendamos en English
- EMMY AWARDS What's the difference between an Emmy and an Oscar award?
- US NEWS Body found in Wyoming fits the description of missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito
- NFL Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. fined for a push
- NFL Kansas City Chiefs 35 vs Baltimore Ravens 36 summary: score, stats, and highlights | Week 2
- NFL The New Orleans Saints slump to defeat against Carolina Panthers
- NFL NY Jets QB Zach Wilson throws 4 interceptions in loss to Patriots