Arteta confirms Xhaka will stay at Arsenal
Granit Xhaka has been linked with a move to Jose Mourinho's Roma, but Arsenal do not appear prepared to sell.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta says Granit Xhaka will not be leaving the club in the transfer window.
The Switzerland international has been heavily linked with a move to Jose Mourinho's Roma, although the Gunners have reportedly offered him a new contract to convince him to stay.
Xhaka scored in Arsenal's 2-1 friendly loss to Chelsea at Emirates Stadium on Sunday after coming on to replace Thomas Partey, who appeared to injure his ankle in the first half.
Arteta: Xhaka is staying
With the former Atlético Madrid man set for scans, Arteta appears doubly determined to keep Xhaka in his squad.
"We just had a talk with the doctor and he'll have a scan tomorrow. At the moment, it's not looking good because he was in pain," Arteta said of Partey.
He then added on Xhaka: "Granit is going to stay with us. He's a key member of our squad and he wanted to play today - I think it's a very clear commitment from his side that he wants to be here."
Xhaka's goal cancelled out a good opener from Kai Havertz, but Tammy Abraham secured the win for European champions Chelsea after an error in possession by Héctor Bellerín.
Despite the result, Arteta was pleased with elements of his side's display in front of an excitable crowd in north London.
"It was a great atmosphere, the fans were right behind the team. It was a great test for us," he said.
"I think we showed some really positive stuff and some worrying stuff when we gave the ball away in difficult positions."
Te recomendamos en English
- EMMY AWARDS What's the difference between an Emmy and an Oscar award?
- US NEWS Body found in Wyoming fits the description of missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito
- NFL Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. fined for a push
- NFL Kansas City Chiefs 35 vs Baltimore Ravens 36 summary: score, stats, and highlights | Week 2
- NFL The New Orleans Saints slump to defeat against Carolina Panthers
- NFL NY Jets QB Zach Wilson throws 4 interceptions in loss to Patriots