Pentagon placed on lockdown after shots fired near Metro station

The Pentagon Force Protection Agency confirmed that the building was on lockdown after an active shooter situation on a nearby bus platform, but has since reopened.

Pentagon placed on lockdown after shots fired near Metro station

This afternoon the Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia was placed on lockdown after a reported shooting incident on a nearby bus platform. An internal message from the Pentagon Force Protection Agency to the workforce advised that no personnel was allowed outside.

POLITICO reports that a gunman was shot by a Pentagon police officer who prevented him from getting inside the building. According to a Pentagon Force Protection Agency official, one officer and the suspect were injured in the encounter and have been transported to seek medical attention.

Although the building lockdown has now been lifted the metro bus station remains closed and the incident has had a major effect on transportation in the D.C. area. Blue and Yellow line service is currently suspended from Pentagon City to Mount Vernon Square/Arlington Cemetery. The Green Line train service is suspended from Navy Yard to Mount Vernon Square. Orange and Silver line trains are not currently stopping at L’Enfant Plaza. Some nearby streets are also currently closed as police continue their investigation in the shooting.

Pentagon building placed on lockdown due to the incident

The building houses the US Department of Defense and is used by thousands of workers every day, with multiple bus lines servicing the area. The building itself is one of the most secure sites in the country and there is now a considerable police presence in the area as law enforcement try to establish what went on.

Speaking while the area around the building was still on lockdown, Pentagon Force Protection Agency spokesman Chris Layman confirmed: "Right now, we've just confirmed that the Pentagon is on lockdown. There is an incident at the Pentagon transit center.”

At the time, Layman said that the “incident is ongoing” but was not able to comment on specifics, or confirm whether a shooting had taken place in the area.

An AP reporter who was near the building at the time has reported hearing multiple gunshots, followed by a pause and at least one additional shot. He subsequently described “police activity” outside the building with police tape clearly visable at the northern end of the platform.

We will keep you updated on this story as it develops.