SOCCER | CHELSEA
Pulisic to miss Chelsea-Arsenal derby after covid-19 diagnosis
Thomas Tuchel will be without Christian Pulisic for Chelsea's trip to Arsenal, with the American symptom-free but positive for covid-19.
Chelsea star Christian Pulisic has tested positive for covid-19 and will miss Sunday's London derby against Arsenal.
The setback for the 22-year-old attacking midfielder comes less than a week after he scored in the Blues' 3-0 win against Crystal Palace on the Premier League's opening weekend.
Pulisic also helped Chelsea last week lift the UEFA Super Cup, netting in the penalty shoot-out as Thomas Tuchel's Champions League winners edged out Villarreal for more silverware.
Pulisic doing well
On Friday, Pulisic posted in an Instagram story: "Hi all, unfortunately I tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week.
"Thankfully I'm fully vaccinated and I have no symptoms so far. Can't wait to get back in action! Than you for your support."
Chelsea boss Tuchel confirmed United States international Pulisic would miss the short trip to Emirates Stadium, saying: "With Christian, it's unfortunately very easy to explain.
"He had a positive test and needs to follow the protocols so he won't be available for the game."
The news follows Arsenal confirming Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette were absent against Brentford last Friday after testing positive for coronavirus.
It remains to be seen whether the Gunners forwards are fit and available to face Chelsea this weekend, with Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta saying it was a "very uncertain" situation.
"They had some tough days. Laca still hasn't trained so he's not been very good," Arteta told a news conference.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NFL Who are the NFL's All-Time passing yards and Touchdown leaders?
- Fati: Inheriting Messi's number 10 shirt does not bring added pressure at Barca
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries