Busquets and Alba take pay cut to let Barcelona register Agüero
The dressing room veterans have become the next Barcelona players to take a pay cut to help with financial difficulties.
Barcelona will be able to register Kun Agüero after Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba followed Gerard Piqué in taking pay cuts to reduce financial concerns.
Lionel Messi could not be signed to a new deal because of financial problems at the Catalan club and, with no signs of improvement, Barça risked not being able to register new signings Memphis Depay, Eric Garcia and Agüero.
Salary cuts from veteran players
However, after Piqué agreed to a salary reduction and deferral of payments, Ronald Koeman's side confirmed they were able to register Depay, Garcia and Rey Manaj.
Alba and Busquets have now, too, agreed to alterations to the terms of their contracts.
Both players will collect reduced wages for this season and deferred payments for the rest of their deals, with also Sergi Roberto reported to be negotiating changes to his terms.
Agüero out till October
The agreements with Busquets and Alba mean cash-strapped Barça can now register Agüero, who is expected to be out injured until the middle of October, while avoiding complications with financial fair play regulations.
Left-back Alba created the second most chances at the club last term in LaLiga (53), while Busquets led the way for tackles and interceptions while also completing the second most passes.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up