Koeman: "This club has a future because of me"
The Barcelona coach launched another broadside at the president for the recent leaks: "Laporta insinuated that the coach doesn't have total power; he said too much".
Koeman is not going to be intimidated by Joan Laporta. Earlier this summer, the Barça president insinuated that during conversations to discuss whether the Dutch coach would continue, he would have to follow certain guidelines such as giving more prominence to players like Riqui Puig and Samuel Umtiti. The Dutch coach has responded to defend himself. In comments to NOS radio, which were picked up by Sport. "Laporta suggested that the coach doesn't have all of the power, he said too much," said Koeman, who is due to face the media on Monday to preview this week's Champions League meeting with Bayern Munich - when he could be asked to go into more detail.
Koeman also came out with another controversial soundbite: "It's thanks to me that this club has a future". That is why, he explained, that he "is open to staying on" at Camp Nou. However, he did admit that there were moments over the summer when he had his doubts about whether to continue at Barcelona: "I think you should always try to make things clear. When you, as a club, are not clear about the future of the coach, there is going to be speculation. And if it is you, the coach, who tries to be clear, people don't like it". He also added that Memphis is ready to be the team's new leader and made contact with Luuk de Jong on 8 August to discuss the possibility of him joining Barça.
Te recomendamos en English
- Ryder Cup: Garcia gets action underway at Whistling Straits
- Joshua v Usyk: AJ aims to keep it simple as Fury looms large over capital clash
- WORLD NEWS What has Biden said about the Evergrande crisis?
- NFL NFL: Chargers after another road win at Chiefs in big AFC West clash
- PSG Mbappé is a fantastic guy - Pochettino backs PSG forward
- BARCELONA Ronald Koeman receives two-match ban for red card