When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
The 2021 World Series gets underway on Tuesday in Texas, as Houston Astros face Atlanta Braves with the title on the line.
After disposing of the Boston Red Sox with a 5-0 win in Game 6 in the American League Championship Series on Friday to secure their place in the World Series, the Astros progress to their third World Series in five years.
The first outing for the Texans ended in defeat after falling in 2005 with a 4-0 loss to Chicago White Sox. The Astros once again were edged out in 2019 with the series against the Washington Nationals going to a seventh game. Houston did record their sole World Series win back in 2017 but in controversial circumstances.
An MLB probe revealed in January 2020 that Astros employees watched a feed from a centre field camera to decode signs, and banged on a trash can to tell batters what pitches to expect during the 2017 and 2018 seasons.
The Astros received a maximum $5 million fine, forfeited first and second-round draft picks in 2020 and 2021, and their manager and general manager were each suspended one year before swiftly being fired by Astros owner Jim Crane.
Braves optimistic after Dodgers display
Atlanta Braves, who secured their spot in the World Series after an upset of the defending champion Los Angeles Dodgers, are returning to the championship series for the first time since they were swept by the New York Yankees in 1999.
The 17 time NL Pennant winners last won the World Series in 1995 with a 4-2 win over Cleveland and this was added to their collection of victories with the previous two wins coming back in 1957 when they were known as the Milwaukee Braves and before that in 1914 when the franchise was based in Boston.
World Series start date
Houston, with a better regular season record will host the first two games of the World Series on Tuesday and Wednesday before play shifts to Atlanta at the weekend.
- Tue. Oct. 26 Atlanta at Houston, Game 1 8:09 pm (ET) start
- Wed. Oct. 27 Atlanta at Houston, Game 2 8:09 pm (ET) start
- Fri. Oct. 29 Houston at Atlanta, Game 3 8:09 pm (ET) start
- Sat. Oct. 30 Houston at Atlanta, Game 4 8:09 pm (ET) start)
- Sun. Oct. 31 Houston at Atlanta, Game 5* 7:15 pm (ET) start
- Tue. Nov. 2 Atlanta at Houston, Game 6* 7:09 pm (ET) start
- Wed. Nov. 3 Atlanta at Houston, Game 7* 7:09 pm (ET) start
* if needed
Recommended in English
- US NEWS When did Cyber Monday originate? What is Cyber Monday?
- NFL What is the Dallas Cowboys best record in franchise history?
- NFL Seattle vs. Washington live online: stats, scores and highlights | NFL Week 11
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- Belichick vindicated once more as Jackson builds DPOY case
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats