Chelsea and Wolves were close to signing Ricardo Pepi
The United States men’s international team striker had several offers on the table from big clubs, but he chose to play for Augsburg in the Bundesliga.
Ricardo Pepi is one of the most promising young players for the United States men’s national team and he managed to consolidate himself as one of the best strikers in Major League Soccer with FC Dallas at 18 years old. He had several offers on the table to make the switch to Europe, but he chose to sign with Bundesliga side Augsburg in early-January.
What were Pepi and Flo talking about? 🧐 pic.twitter.com/Bt1FTYqaep— FC Augsburg (@FCA_World) January 11, 2022
Pepi could’ve sign for a Premier League club
According to Bild, the USMNT striker had serious offers from Chelsea and Wolves. The Premier League clubs were willing to pay the $20 million that FC Dallas was asking for Ricardo Pepi, but negotiations fell apart.
The 18-year-old had his mind set on playing in the Bundesliga because he believed he had the best option to adapt quickly and see more minutes. That is why Ricardo Pepi chose to sign with Augsburg and become the second most expensive transfer, behind Miguel Almirón, in MLS history.
Ricardo Pepi made his debut in the Bundesliga last weekend in Augsburg's 3-1 defeat against Hoffenheim. The USMNT striker played his first 30 minutes and it is expected that he makes his first start this weekend when Augsburg play Eintracht Frankfurt.
Recommended in English
- NFL Tom Brady too upset about Bucs' playoff exit to consider future
- NFL Mahomes vs. Allen: the next great NFL quarterback rivalry
- REAL MADRID Benzema home burgled as striker played at the Bernabéu
- TRANSFER MARKET Where has Dusan Vlahovic decided he wants to play?
- Barcelona Barcelona have one week to complete two signings
- NBA How many points per game is LeBron James averaging for the Lakers this season?