Ousmane Coulibaly thanks James Rodríguez for help after heart attack on pitch
Coulibaly collapsed in front of goal near the end of the first half of his team Al Wakrah's match against Al Rayyan at Doha's Al Gharafa Stadium.
Former Mali international Ousmane Coulibaly, who suffered a heart attack on the pitch during a Qatar Stars League match, has thanked Colombia international James Rodríguez for helping to save his life.
The 32-year-old Coulibaly collapsed in front of goal near the end of the first half of his team Al Wakrah's match against Al Rayyan at Doha's Al Gharafa Stadium and was treated by medical and ambulance staff before being stabilised in hospital.
Coulibaly posted an image of himself in hospital on Thursday and thanked Al Rayyan's Rodríguez for adjusting his head to make sure he could breathe properly and Al Wakrah team-mate Saoud Al Khater for immediately signalling to the medical team.
"Thanks to God and the work of these heroes I was saved," defender Coulibaly said in the post, while also thanking hospital staff and first responders at the match.
Coulibaly is not the first professional footballer to suffer a heart attack on the pitch.
Eriksen collapses at Euros
Danish forward Christian Eriksen suffered a cardiac arrest during a European Championship clash with Finland in Copenhagen in June last year.
The 29-year-old was fitted with a heart-starting device. His contract with Inter Milan was terminated on medical grounds but he is looking for a new club to continue his career.
Recommended in English
- NFL Tom Brady too upset about Bucs' playoff exit to consider future
- NFL Mahomes vs. Allen: the next great NFL quarterback rivalry
- REAL MADRID Benzema home burgled as striker played at the Bernabéu
- TRANSFER MARKET Where has Dusan Vlahovic decided he wants to play?
- Barcelona Barcelona have one week to complete two signings
- NBA How many points per game is LeBron James averaging for the Lakers this season?