Mané taken to hospital after head injury blow at AFCON
Liverpool player Sadio Mané revealed he was taken to hospital after a clash of heads with Cape Verde's Vozinha, but the forward insisted that "all is well".
Sadio Mané says "all is well" after he was taken to hospital following a nasty clash of heads during Senegal's Africa Cup of Nations victory over Cape Verde.
Mané's brilliant strike broke the deadlock as Aliou Cisse's side overcame stubborn opponents 2-0 to advance to the quarter-finals of the competition.
Mané off after head knock
However, Senegal forward Mané was substituted soon afterwards, appearing to still be feeling the effects of an earlier collision with Vozinha.
As he chased a bouncing ball on the edge of the penalty area, Mané collided with the Cape Verde goalkeeper, who was dismissed following the intervention of VAR.
A photograph – posted on the official Africa Cup of Nations Twitter account – revealed that Vozinha visited the Liverpool forward in hospital after the game.
Sharing the photo on Instagram stories (which are deleted after 24 hours), Mané told his 9.1million followers: "All is well. Thank you all for the messages."
He will now hope to be fit for the quarter-finals, where Senegal will play either Mali or Equatorial Guinea on Sunday.
Captain Kalidou Koulibaly said after the game, quoted by Senegalese sport website wiwsport.com: "Sadio Mané has to do some tests. We've had him on the telephone, and he says he's OK. He wasn't wanting to come off, but no risks should be taken. He's an important player for us."
Reports later on Tuesday evening said Mané had been released from hospital.