Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics Day 15: medal count by country, news summary | 19 February
Beijing 2022: Day 15 as it happened
Winter Olympics 2022: medal table
1. Norway: Gold 16, Silver 8, Bronze 13 (37)
2. Germany: Gold 12, Silver 10, Bronze 5 (27)
3. China: Gold 9, Silver 4, Bronze 2 (15)
4. USA: Gold 8, Silver 10, Bronze 7 (25)
5. Sweden: Gold 8, Silver 5, Bronze 5 (18)
6. Netherlands: Gold 8, Silver 5, Bronze 4 (17)
7. Austria: Gold 7, Silver 7, Bronze 4 (18)
8. Switzerland: Gold 7, Silver 2, Bronze 5 (14)
9. ROC: Gold 6, Silver 11, Bronze 14 (31)
10. France: Gold 5, Silver 7, Bronze 2 (14)
11. Canada: Gold 4, Silver 8, Bronze 14 (26)
12. Japan: Gold 3, Silver 6, Bronze 9 (18)
13. Italy: Gold 2, Silver 7, Bronze 8 (17)
14. Republic of Korea: Gold 2, Silver 5, Bronze 2 (9)
15. Slovenia: Gold 2, Silver 3, Bronze 2 (7)
16.New Zealand: Gold 2, Silver 1, Bronze 0 (3)
17. Finland: Gold 1, Silver 2, Bronze 4 (7)
18. Australia: Gold 1, Silver 2, Bronze 1 (4)
19. Great Britain: Gold 1, Silver 1, Bronze 0 (2)
20. Hungary: Gold 1, Silver 0, Bronze 2 (3)
21. Belgium: Gold 1, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (2)
21. Czech Republic: Gold 1, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (2)
21. Slovakia: Gold 1, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (2)
24. Belarus: Gold 0, Silver 2, Bronze 0 (2)
25. Spain: Gold 0, Silver 1, Bronze 0 (1)
25. Ukraine: Gold 0, Silver 1, Bronze 0 (1)
27. Estonia: Gold 0, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (1)
27. Latvia: Gold 0, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (1)
27. Poland: Gold 0, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (1)
Day 15 headlines:
- Finland's men's ice hockey team win historic final gold
- Britain's women win curling gold
- Chinese pair clinch gold after 12-year wait
- Sweden pip Britain to men's curling gold
- ROC's Bolshunov wins gold in men's cross-country 50km
- Belgium's Swings claims speed skating gold
Related news articles:
The sporting action is done and dusted. But follow all the entertainment from the closing ceremony as Beijing says 再见 and Italy prepares to take the baton.
Finland take final gold
What a stunning performance from the Finish men's team to take ice hockey gold. They'll enjoy the closing ceremony so much more!
Third gold for Norway's Johaug
Therese Johaug has the golden hat-trick after a win in the women’s 30km mass start. What a finish!
Jessie Diggins of the United States took the silver, her second medal of the Games..
Bobsleigh gold and silver for Germany
Germany's Francesco Friedrich pilots his team to gold in the 4-man Bbobsleigh. The silver also goes to Germany with Johannes Lochner at the front.
Team GB get first gold
It's gold for the women's curling team to add to yesterday's silver by the men.
Slovakia make history
Slovakia men's ice hockey claimed an historic first Olympic medal in the event on Saturday by beating Sweden 4-0 to take the bronze medal.
As one half of the former Czechoslovakia, they made several appearances on the Olympic podium and as an independent nation reached the semi-finals at the 2010 Vancouver Games but failed to medal, losing to Finland in the bronze match.
Slovakia would not be denied a second time, 17-year-old sensation Juraj Slafkovsky leading the attack with a couple of goals and Samuel Takac and Pavol Regenda one each while Patrik Rybar was unbeatable in net stopping all 28 shots he faced.
The Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) will try to clinch back-to-back Olympic titles when they face off against Finland on Sunday in the gold medal game.
Sweden beat Swiss to clinch women's curling bronze
Sweden beat Switzerland 9-7 to claim women's curling bronze medal on Saturday. The gold medal will be contested in Sunday's final when Japan take on Great Britain.
Germany's Nolte and Levi take two-woman gold
Laura Nolte and Deborah Levi of Germany won the gold medal in the two-woman bobsleigh on Saturday. Mariama Jamanka and Alexandra Burghardt of Germany took silver with Elana Meyers Taylor and Sylvia Hoffman of the United States clinching bronze.
Chinese pair clinch gold after 12-year wait
China's Sui Wenjing and Han Cong made sure the Beijing Games' controversial figure skating competition ended in celebration on Saturday by winning the pairs title for the sport's final gold medal to the rapture of local fans.
Fevered cheers and thunderous applause filled the Beijing Capital Indoor Stadium as the pair's free skate score was announced in Mandarin, giving China the first figure skating trophy since pairs Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo in 2010.
Sui and Han, partners for 15 years - their entire career since they were children - were clearly in their element on home ice as they executed a series of high-scoring elements. Their final score of 239.88 beat the world record of 239.82 held by Russians Anastasia Mishina and Aleksandr Galliamov.
Russians Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov took silver with 239.25 points while the Mishina-Galliamov duo won bronze with 237.71.
Sweden beat Britain to win men's curling gold
Sweden won the gold medal in the men's curling competition at the Beijing Olympics after beating Britain 5-4 at the National Aquatics Centre on Saturday. Britain were awarded silver while Canada took bronze.
Snowboarding star Shaun White spoke of his "beautiful journey" and thanked everyone who has helped and influenced him in farewell message on Twitter, after confirming his retirement following the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics.
Netherlands' Schouten wins gold in women's mass start
Irene Schouten of the Netherlands won gold in the women's speed skating mass start at the Beijing Olympics on Saturday. Ivanie Blondin of Canada claimed silver and Francesca Lollobrigida of Italy took bronze.
Silver medallist Ivan Yakimushkin of the ROC, gold medallist Alexander Bolshunov of the ROC and bronze medallist Simen Hegstad Krueger of Norway walk to the podium after Bolshunov's victory in Saturday's men's 50km mass start free event, which was shortened to 30km due to the weather.
(Photo: Odd ANDERSEN / AFP)
Speed skater swings nets Belgium's first gold in Beijing
In the men’s speed skating mass start final, Belgium’s Bart Swings has won his country’s first gold medal at the 2022 Winter Games, winning the event ahead of Korean Republic pair Jae Won Chung in second, and Seung Hoon Lee in third.
It was Belgium's first Winter Games gold medal in 74 years since Micheline Lannoy and Pierre Baugniet won gold in the pairs figure skating competition in 1948.
ROC one-two in men's cross-country 50km
The ROC’s Alexander Bolshunov has taken gold in the men’s cross-country skiing 50km mass start freestyle, with his compatriot, Ivan Yakimushkin, finishing in the silver-medal position. Norway’s Simen Hegstad Krueger has claimed bronze.
Due to the weather conditions, the race was shortened to 30km.
Day 15 medal events: schedule
Here's a rundown of the medal events still ahead of us on Day 15 in Beijing (all times are ET):
Curling: men’s gold medal game - 1:50am
Cross-country skiiing: men’s 50km mass start - 2am
Speed skating: men’s mass start final - 3:30am
Speed skating: women’s mass start final - 4am
Figure skating: pair skating - free skating: 6am
Curling: women’s bronze medal game - 7:05am
Bobsleigh: 2-woman - 8:30am
New Zealand's Nico Porteous is carried by his brother Miguel Porteous after winning the freestyle skiing men's freeski halfpipe final run on Saturday.
(Photo by Ben STANSALL / AFP)
Freeski Halfpipe may be finished but there are 10 more medal events to go on a busy day from Beijing.
Nico Porteous (NZL) won the Men's Free ski halfpipe in the opening medal event of Day 15. Americans Dave Wise and Alex Ferriera won silver and bronze to add to the US medal count.
How is Team USA doing at the Beijing Winter Olympics?
The U.S. underwent five days of rough competition - with some disappointing upsets - before finally bringing home the country's first gold medal last week.
Lindsey Jacobellis earned theGold at the Beijing Games ending Team USA's no-gold streak, in the women's snowboard cross.
Snowboarder Julia Marino, however, was the first to medal for Team USA on Saturday- just not Gold. Madison Chock and Evan Bates then added another silver medal to the team's count after they wowed us all with their incredible galactic-themed ice dance on Sunday.
Jaelin Kauf won the Olympic silver coming behind Australia's Jakara Anthony in the women's moguls finals, while Ryan Cochran-Siegle secured another silver medal, adding to Team USA's total count, in men's super-G, on Tuesday.
Jessie Diggins clinched the fifth medal for the American team - the bronze in women's individual sprint, cross-country skiing. Diggins became the first American to win a medal in the cross-country skiing individual sprint event, making history for the U.S.A.
Men's freestyle Skiing halfpipe is on!
Don't miss one of the most breathtaking events at the Winter Games!
That final breathe right when the music starts says it all...
This one's for all the figure skating lovers. Canada's Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir broke their own World Record in the short program.
Tune in for the last two days at Beijing 2022! Schedule below:
It's the penultimate day of action at Beijing 2022, and events are many! Take a look at what you don't want to miss out on in the next 48 hours here.
W MASS START & M MASS START
ALPINE SKIING: Team Event
BIATHLON: W 12.5 Km Mass Start
FIGURE SKATING: Pairs free skating
CROSS COUNTRY SKIING:
M 50 Km Mass Start Free
CURLING: M Gold Medal & W Bronze Model
ICE HOCKEY: M Bronze Medal
M Freeski Halfpipe Final
Four-Man Heat 1, Four-Man Heat 2, Two-Woman Heat 3, Two-Woman Heat 4
The 4-man bobsleigh heats are underway at the Yanqing National Sliding Centre.
Freestyle skier and model and Ailing Gu criticised after she wins Gold for China
The 18-year-old American-born Olympic freestyle skier Eileen Gu has been the target of online criticism after bringing Gold for China, which is her mother's birthplace. If that's what Olympic champions are criticized for, there would be no Olympic Games.
Top countries in the medal count Day 15 Beijing Olympics:
With 15 sports and 109 events at the 2022 Winter Olympics, over 300 medals will be awarded to participating Olympians. Take a look at the top nations in the medal count so far:
1. Norway – 34
2. ROC - 27
3. Canada - 24
4. Germany - 22
5. United States - 21
Will U.S.A. reach 30 medals this Olympics?
The United States, who came to Beijing Winter Olympics with the second-most Winter Olympics medals (30), are currently at 21, with 8 Gold, 8 Silver, and 5 Bronze.
Norway's on fire!
It's day 15 in Beijing, and Norway has already broken the record for the most gold medals at a single Olympic Winter Games!
Beijing 2022 Day 15 headlines:
- Norway set new Olympic record with 15 gold medals
- Russia's Shcherbakova wins figure skating-women's single gold as Valieva stumbles into fourth place
- Eileen Gu is China's darling after second gold!
- Miho Tagaki sets new Olympic record in women's 1,000m
- Sandra Naeslund takes ski cross gold for Sweden
Medal table at the start of Day 15:
1. Norway: Gold 15, Silver 8, Bronze 11 (34)
2. Germany: Gold 10, Silver 7, Bronze 5 (22)
3. USA: Gold 8, Silver 8, Bronze 5 (21)
4. China: Gold 8, Silver 4, Bronze 2 (14)
5. Netherlands: Gold 7, Silver 5, Bronze 4 (16)
6. Sweden: Gold 7, Silver 5, Bronze 4 (16)
7. Switzerland: Gold 7, Silver 2, Bronze 5 (14)
8. Austria: Gold 6, Silver 7, Bronze 4 (17)
9. ROC: Gold 5, Silver 9, Bronze 13 (27)
10. France: Gold 5, Silver 7, Bronze 2 (14)
11. Canada: Gold 4, Silver 7, Bronze 13 (24)
12. Japan: Gold 3, Silver 5, Bronze 9 (17)
13. Italy: Gold 2, Silver 7, Bronze 7 (16)
14. Republic of Korea: Gold 2, Silver 4, Bronze 1 (7)
15. Slovenia: Gold 2, Silver 3, Bronze 2 (7)
16. Finland: Gold 1, Silver 2, Bronze 3 (6)
17. Australia: Gold 1, Silver 2, Bronze 1 (4)
18. New Zealand: Gold 1, Silver 1, Bronze 0 (2)
19. Hungary: Gold 1, Silver 0, Bronze 2 (3)
20. Czech Republic: Gold 1, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (2)
21. Slovakia: Gold 1, Silver 0, Bronze 0 (1)
22. Belarus: Gold 0, Silver 2, Bronze 0 (2)
23. Spain: Gold 0, Silver 1, Bronze 0 (1)
23. Ukraine: Gold 0, Silver 1, Bronze 0 (1)
25. Belgium: Gold 0, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (1)
25. Estonia: Gold 0, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (1)
25. Latvia: Gold 0, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (1)
25. Poland: Gold 0, Silver 0, Bronze 1 (1)
Hello and welcome to Beijing for Day 15 of the 2022 Winter Olympics. We are here to bring you the latest gold medal winners and the up-to-date medal table standings. Stay tuned!