What did Machado say about Padres’ weekend defeats to Dodgers?
Despite three comprehensive losses to the Los Angeles Dodgers, Manny Machado says he isn’t worried for the San Diego Padres.
The San Diego Padres’ Manny Machado isn’t panicking after his team suffered three straight losses to the Los Angeles Dodgers over the weekend.
The Padres were beaten 4-0 at Dodger Stadium on Sunday, having done down 8-1 and 8-3 to the same opponents on Friday and Saturday, respectively.
But a trio of convincing defeats to the Padres’ star opponents have not overly concerned Machado.
Padres slump despite strengthening roster
The 30-year-old faced questions on how big the gap was to their division rivals despite the high-profile trade for Juan Soto earlier in the week, which came along with moves to sign Josh Bell, Brandon Drury and Josh Hader.
Tyler Anderson gave the Padres little chance on Sunday, and they have now dropped to 2-8 against the Dodgers this season, with a huge 15.5-game gap to Los Angeles in the National League West.
“Why would I be concerned?”
Machado was asked how concerned he was about the prospect of facing the Dodgers in the postseason based on the way these latest matchups had gone.
“Concerned? Why would I be concerned? Not at all,” he said, per ESPN. “We know what we have and that’s it.
“We have no pressure in here. We’re going out there and playing baseball every single day. Whatever that day brings us, we’re going to go out there and give it all we have.
“We keep playing baseball. It’s plain and simple. Nothing else to it.”
San Diego have the chance to bounce back with a three-game home series against the San Francisco Giants, which begins on Monday.