NewslettersSign inAPP
spainSPAINargentinaARGENTINAchileCHILEcolombiaCOLOMBIAusaUSAmexicoMEXICOperuPERUlatin usaLATIN USAamericaAMERICA

SOCCER

MLS playoff schedule: brackets, teams, times, dates and favorites to win

Each tie will be contested under a single-elimination format throughout.

Update:
HARRISON, NJ - OCTOBER 09: Lewis Morgan #10 of New York Red Bulls battles for the ball against Kerwin Vargas #18 of Charlotte FC in the first half of the Decision Day Major League Soccer match at Red Bull Arena on October 9, 2022 in Harrison, New Jersey. (Photo by Ira L. Black - Corbis/Getty Images)
Ira L. Black - CorbisGetty

The MLS playoffs feature a total of 14 teams, seven from both the Eastern and Western Conferences. A total of seven teams will make the playoffs from each conference, giving 14 teams a chance of hoisting MLS Cup.

The league featured a total of 28 teams competing in the 2022 regular season, meaning half the field qualifies for the postseason. The team with the best regular season record hosts every matchup, including the MLS Cup final.

The top seed in each conference receives a bye straight into the conference semifinal round, with the other six teams on each side taking part in the opening round. The ties will be contested under a single-elimination format throughout.

When do the playoffs begin?

The first round matchups of the 2022 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs are set and take place between 15 and 17 October. The semi-finals follow on October 20 and 23, with the Conference finals scheduled for October 30. The winners of the two Conference finals will then meet for the showpiece final on 5 November to decide the MLS Cup champions for 2022.

2022 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs first round schedule

Eastern Conference

New York Red Bulls vs FC Cincinnati

New York City FC vs Inter Miami

Montreal vs Orlando City

Philadelphia Union, as winners of the Eastern Conference, will face the victors of the New York Red Bulls vs FC Cincinnati tie in the semi-finals.

Western Conference

LA Galaxy vs Nashville

FC Dallas vs Minnesota United

Austin FC vs Real Salt Lake

The winners of the LA Galaxy vs Nashville clash will take on Western Conference table-toppers Los Angeles FC in the semi-finals.

How can I watch the 2022 MLS playoff games?

There are a variety of broadcasters getting involved in the MLS playoffs. Remember that, as well as the likes of ABC, ESPN and Fox Sports, games, can be live streamed on fuboTV.

Dates and times

ROUND 1

Saturday October 15

  • New York Red Bulls vs FC Cincinnati, 12 p.m. ET (Univision)
  • Los Angeles Galaxy vs Nashville SC, 3 p.m. ET (Univision)

Sunday October 16

  • Austin FC vs Real Salt Lake, 3 p.m. ET (ABC)
  • CF Montréal vs Orlando City, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Monday October 17

  • New York City FC vs Inter Miami, 7 p.m. ET (FS1)
  • FC Dallas vs Minnesota United, 9:30 p.m. ET (FS1)

CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS

Thursday October 20

  • Philadelphia Union vs NYRB/FC Cincinnati winner, 8 p.m. ET (FS1)
  • Los Angeles FC vs LA Galaxy/Nashville SC winner, 10 p.m. ET (FS1)

Sunday October 23

  • CF Montréal/Orlando City winner vs New York City FC/Inter Miami winner, 1 p.m. ET (ESPN)
  • Austin FC/Real Salt Lake winner vs FC Dallas/Minnesota United winner, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN)

CONFERENCE FINALS

Sunday October 30

  • Eastern Conference final: 3 p.m. ET (ABC)
  • Western Conference final: 8 p.m. ET (FS1)

MLS CUP

Saturday November 5

  • Eastern Conference winner vs Western Conference winner, 4 p.m. ET (FOX and UniMás)

MLS Cup playoffs: Where will the final be held?

We know when the MLS Cup final will take place – November 5 - but the venue is still undecided. Rather than hold the end-of-season showpiece at a determined venue, its location will depend on which teams qualify for the final.

Favorites to win MLS Cup

According to FiveThirtyEight, LAFC and the Philadelphia Union have a combined 65% chance of winning the MLS Cup on November 5. LAFC are the biggest favorites (35%), but Philly are close (30%).

Rules

To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?