Tom Heaton replaces injured Joe Hart in England squad
Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton has been called into the England squad to replace the injured Joe Hart, the Football Association announced on Monday.
Hart, England's first-choice goalkeeper, injured his calf during Manchester City's 1-0 home defeat by Manchester United on Sunday and is expected to be out for three to four weeks.
His City and England team-mate Raheem Sterling was also forced off in the game, due to a groin injury, but England manager Roy Hodgson does not intend to summon a replacement for the former Liverpool winger.
"Obviously it's very disappointing for Joe and Raheem to suffer injuries which will rule them out of our games against Germany and Holland," Hodgson told the FA website.
"They are important players in our squad and I wish them a speedy recovery. Tom has been with us on several occasions and I am welcoming him back into the fold."
Heaton, 29, is uncapped at senior level, but has been regularly called up by Hodgson over the past year.
He will provide back-up to Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster and Stoke City's Jack Butland.
England play world champions Germany in Berlin on Saturday before taking on the Netherlands at Wembley next Tuesday as they step up preparations for Euro 2016.
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July