Barcelona in a Champions League quarter-final first leg at the Camp Nou on Tuesday evening. And Atleti’s manager, Diego Simeone, was in combative mood in his press conference ahead of the match - asked if this was the “best defence against the best attack” the Argentinean responded simply pointed out drily that the match is “Barcelona - Atlético Madrid”.
As to Barcelona’s famed attack, Simeone said he expected them to play their usual game, with depth, variations… we’re expecting the best Barcelona, and no doubt we’ll meet them. They’ll make us play to our best.”
He wasn’t keen to go into many details about Torres, and his decision to play him from the start, replying to the question as to why the striker is the best option for the game with: “Because it’s my decision to include him in my plans and I think he’s right for this game”.
Another player who Simeone feels can make a difference is Savic: “He’s a goal scorer. He reads the defence so well, he’s good at dead ball situations like Godín and Giménez and he’s been getting better in the six months he’s been here”.
Will the defeat in the Clásico on Saturday affect things? “I don’t think so”, said Simeone. “They are playing at home, first leg, they’ll go for the game. We’re optimistic. It’s a tough match, a strong rival, but I believe in this team”.
As for what would be a good result, Simeone has no doubts: “A win”.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: what is ivermectin and how does it work?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: UK lockdown could end "in weeks" says government advisor
- Coronavirus Coronavirus UK: Police chief calls for public to play their part this weekend
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: what is furlough and how will it affect workers?
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Details of Neymar Sr's meeting with Bartomeu to resolve lawsuit revealed
- India Coronavirus India: Why and when to switch off lights and light candles?