How could one simple little website cause so much trouble? Football Leaks' revelation of Neymar's contract with Barcelona caused quite the stir, it has more bonuses than the Spanish civil service and more clauses than Christmas. He'll earn about €45.9 million by the end of that 5-year contract, and with it coming to an end this summer the Brazilian's representatives are holding out for a deal that might see him earn that much in a single year.
According to AS sources, Neymar has asked for a quintupling of his current salary to continue at Barcelona; more than 45 million euro a year pre-tax.
This big-money demand has Barça president Bartomeu scrambling to come up with the necessary cash to keep the MSN together, currently negotiating a new shirt sponsorship deal, a new shirt supplier agreement with Nike and offering the naming rights for the new Camp Nou.
Of course, Neymar isn't the only culé feeling the cold hand of the taxman, Messi's naming in the Panama Papers may have its repurcussions and if Neymar seals a deal of such stratospheric proportions, how can you refuse Leo Messi and Luis Suarez a similar contract?
Money might tear this brilliant Barcelona team apart.
Recommended in English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: The reasons behind Gareth Bale's rupture with the club and the fans
- SOCCER Xabi Alonso: "Winning Euro 2008 with Spain shut Carragher up..."
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp cheers world class Mané ahead of Southampton reunion
- NBA | PELICANS Pelicans All-Star Zion Williamson cleared for full team activities
- NBA | SUNS Streaking Suns keeping eyes on NBA prize as record looms
- NBA Curry salutes Klay Thompson after latest Warriors masterclass