Modest Leganes secure historic promotion to LaLiga
The modest Madrid based club secured promotion to the top flight of Spanish for the first time in their 88 years of history.
The modest Madrid working class suburb based Club Deportivo Leganés secured a historic promotion tonight to the top flight of Spanish football where next season they will face the likes of Real Madrid, Barça and Sevilla at their compact 8,000 capacity Butarque ground.
With one of the lowest budgets in Spanish football's second tier a 0-1 away win tonight at Mirandes was enough to secure direct promotion.
Basque side Alavés were already promoted last weekend and after the Madrid province saw two of it's clubs relegated in mid May in Rayo Vallecano and Getafe, "Los Pepineros" promotion sees three teams from the greater Madrid area in primera for the 2016/17 season.
Leganés is a municipal area to the south of Madrid with 180.000 inhabitants and the past two decades have seen the club move from 2B to 2A constantly.
There is still one promotion play up for grabs and that spot will be decided from the play-off games involving Gimnástic de Tarragona, Girona, Córdoba and Osasuna. Zaragoza,blew their chances of securing a play-off place with a disastrous 6-2 defeat away to already relegated Llagostera.
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops