Atleti set their sights on rising Argentine star
19 year-old Santiago Ascacibar has been named in Argentina's provisional Olympic squad and currently plays for Estudiantes.
Reports emerging from Argentina suggest that Atletico Madrid are hot on the trail of Estudiantes’ 19 year-old midfielder Santiago Ascacibar.
Recently named in Argentina’s provisional squad for the Rio Olympics, Ascacibar is a defensive midfielder who has burst onto the scene in Argentina this season with a series of standout performances. Atletico are rumoured to have already submitted a bid for the player, who is currently under contract with Estudiantes until June 2019.
The club’s Chief Executive, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, travelled to Buenos Aires a few weeks ago to look over the squad for next season with Diego Simeone and to discuss possible new signings. Ascacibar was one of them and Atleti will be keen to steal a lead on other interested clubs ahead of the new season.
Te recomendamos en English
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- CORONAVIRUS What has Dr Fauci said about the covid-19 Delta variant and lockdowns?
- NFL Nick Foles plays down Colts trade talk: "I'm a Chicago Bear now"
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 03 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Recap: Biles takes bronze, Thompson-Herah makes history