Jesús Gámez close to joining Benítez's Newcastle
According to Sky Sports the Malagueño is currently undergoing a medical revision with the Magpies. He was absent from Atlético's return to the training ground today.
- LaLiga Santander, matchday 20: Alavés-Atlético Live.
Jesús Gámez was conspicuously absent from Atlético de Madrid's training session this morning - the first day back at work for the Rojiblancos and the start of the pre-season. The Málaga-born defender was granted permission from the club to sort out issues concering his future. The recent signing of full-back Šime Vrsaljko and with Juanfran already holding down the right-back postion leaves Gámez with few options next season. Newcastle have shown an interest and according to Sky Sports, the player could be hours away from completing a move to St James Park; Gámez is currently in England and believed to be undergoing a medical at Newcastle.
Rafa Benítez sees Gámez as a key piece for next season's side - he is team-minded, he gets along well with others within the dressing room, he is committed and professional, and he always puts the team first. During his time at Atleti, he ended up dislodging Siqueira from the left-back slot - one which is not his natural position. Last season, with Filipe Luis' return, he made 16 appearances.
Te recomendamos en English
- SPACEFLIGHT SpaceX, NASA launch: new date and why it has been postponed
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Can I refuse to have my temperature taken before work?
- LALIGA LaLiga given green light for Monday and Friday games this season
- PREMIER LEAGUE Four more positive tests in Premier League
- CORONAVIRUS 4th of July 2020: what’s going to happen on Independence Day?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Has Sweden’s herd immunity strategy failed?