Ronaldo injured and out of Euro 2016 final after 23 minutes
The Portugal striker twisted his knee in a clumsy challenge from Payet. He tried to carry on but eventually came off in tears. He later came back out before extra-time.
Portugal striker Cristiano was forced out of the Euro 2016 final with a knee injury. The Real Madrid forward twisted his knee in a clumsy challenge from French midfielder Payet in the 8th minute. He left the field for treatment at that point but managed to come back on.
Treatment and tears for Ronaldo
Ronaldo carried on until the 17th minute but was clearly struggling. At that point he sat down on the turf in tears, but under encouragement from his bench he hobbled to the sidelines and received more treatment, with a large bandage being applied to the joint. He then struggled back on.
But it wasn't to be. In the 23rd minute Ronaldo sat down and indicated he could play no further part. In tears he handed gave Nani the captain's armband and was stretchered from the pitch and down the tunnel.
Ronaldo reappears before extra-time
Cristiano came back out of the tunnel just before extra-time, with his knee strapped up. He was walking unaided, somewhat gingerly. He headed over to his team-mates to give them a pep talk before the start of extra-time, with the regulation 90 having produced no goals.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS School shooting in Oxford, Michigan: what are the gun laws in the state?
- CORONAVIRUS Omicorn: global tracking of new covid-19 variant
- US NEWS Is the federal government going to shut down?
- NFL Who are the most hated NFL teams?
- NBA LeBron James was put in COVID protocol, but is he vaccinated?
- NBA Suns outshine Warriors and Curry accepts responsibility