UEFA on Monday named French forward and tournament top scorer Antoine Griezmann as the best player of Euro 2016, a day after the hosts' 1-0 final defeat to Portugal.
"Antoine Griezmann was a threat in every game he played. He works hard for his team and possesses technique, vision and quality finishing," said UEFA chief technical officer Ioan Lupescu, who led the panel that picked the striker. Alex Ferguson, the former Manchester United manager, was among UEFA's 13-strong panel of technical observers.
Atletico Madrid man Griezmann, 25, for whom Sunday's defeat was a second major final loss in a month after the loss to arch-rivals Real Madrid in the Champions League, also won the Golden Boot award for his six goals. He also had two assists in France's run to the final, but had a rare off-night in front of goal on Sunday and was unable to haul the hosts to victory.
Team of the tournament
Griezmann and midfield schemer Dimitri Payet were included in the UEFA team of the tournament named Monday, as was Portugal skipper Cristiano Ronaldo, who was stretchered off injured and in tears after a crunching tackle by Payet. Portugal defensive lynchpin Pepe was also included, along with fellow Portuguese goalkeeper Rui Patricio and Raphael Guerreiro.
No place for Bale, but Ramsey and Allen make it
There was no place for Gareth Bale, but Wales team-mates Aaron Ramsey and Joe Allen, both midfielders, were named in the team of the tournament.
UEFA team of the tournament: Rui Patricio (POR); Joshua Kimmich (GER), Jerome Boateng (GER), Pepe (POR), Raphael Guerreiro (POR); Toni Kroos (GER), Joe Allen (WAL), Aaron Ramsey (WAL); Antoine Griezmann (FRA), Dimitri Payet (FRA); Cristiano Ronaldo (POR)
Te recomendamos en English
- George Floyd George Floyd protests: Is kneeling on the neck a legal police tactic?
- George Floyd protests Trump criticises Saints QB Brees for changing stance on kneeling
- Coronavirus Donald Trump links job numbers to a ‘great day’ for George Floyd
- Coronavirus New York records lowest number of daily coronavirus deaths since pandemic started
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- George Floyd George Floyd death: what do we know about the four police officers? Charges and backgrounds