"Son of a dog": Payet abused by Ronaldo's Iranian fan club
After Dimitri Payet's tackle resulted in the Ronaldo being taken off injured in the Euro 2016 final, Iranian fans flooded the Frenchman's Instagram with messages of abuse...
Dimitri Payet was enemy number one in Portugal when he clattered into Cristiano Ronaldo in a hefty challenge that saw the Portuguese talisman eventually stretchered off in tears from the Euro 2016 final. But the French playmaker also in that instant made sworn enemies much farther away on Sunday -- in Iran.
Real Madrid forward Ronaldo is a hero and icon to football-mad Iranian fans and they quickly made their feelings known to Payet, flooding his Instagram account with accusations he had intentionally hobbled Ronaldo, even though the referee did not rule it a foul.
"Son of a dog"
A stream of abusive posts on Instagram came Payet's way in Persian, with insults that included branding him a "son of a dog". But not everyone agreed with the abuse, with at least one poster asking for forgiveness from "all Iranians".
Portugal, Ronaldo and his Iranian fan club had the last laugh, however, as the Portuguese went on to beat Payet and his France side 1-0.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check Update: what's the situation in every state?
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- US NEWS Camera crew walk-off in the hours before Alec Baldwin fatally shot Halyna Hutchins
- US NEWS What states saw the highest number of workers quit this summer?