Jonas, Barça’s alternative if Vietto deal falls through
The ex-Valencia striker’s brother and agent told Globoesporte that the Catalan club have been in touch regarding a potential transfer.
Recent reports suggest that Barcelona are set to close a deal with Atletico Madrid for striker Luciano Vietto but, if the claims of agents are to be believed, the club have identified an alternative in case the deal falls through: Benfica’s 32-year-old Brazilian striker Jonas.
“Someone who said they were calling on behalf of Barcelona contacted me asking about Jonas,” said the player’s brother and agent Tiago Goncalves.
“We’re obviously flattered because it’s recognition of the great season he’s had,” he added. The Brazilian striker was one of Europe’s deadliest strikers last season, racking up 32 goals in just 34 games and rivalling Barcelona’s Luis Suarez for the Golden Shoe awarded to the continent’s top marksman.
Jonas’ agent said that he’s very happy and settled at Benfica but did leave the door open for Barcelona to pursue a deal. “I want to make clear that Jonas is very happy at Benfica. A transfer would only be an option if both Benfica and Jonas are happy with it," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7