Juventus target Witsel or Matic as replacements for Pogba
The Italian champions have offered 20 million euros for Witsel, but Zenit are holding out for 24 million knowing that the sum coming in for the Pogba sale will be huge.
“And now Witsel”, screamed the front cover of Italian daily, Tuttosport. There is nobody in Turin that still believes Paul Pogba will remain a Juventus player come the start of the 2016/17 Serie A campaign. He is expected back to pre-season training on Sunday, 7 August however manager Massimiliano Allegri is already looking to arrange cover for the French midfielder.
With several players being linked to fill the rather big hole that will be left, one name that appears to be close to the top of the wish-list is Zenit St Petersburg's Axel Witsel. The Belgian fits well with the thinking of the Juventus technical team and also with the finances of the club who will spend the bulk of the money received for Pogba on Higuain - around 95 of the 120 million euros.
The offer made by Juventus for the midfielder is 20 million euros, but the Russian club are holding out for around 24 million, very conscious of the incredible windfall about to arrive in Turin - the largest in football history. There are others in the frame to join the Vecchia Segnora if the Witsel deal cannot be agreed - one of these the Serbian and Chelsea midfielder, Nemanja Matić - but they are hopeful all their pieces come together neatly on the back of the summer's biggest saga.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- OTHER SPORTS Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua: A fight for the ages
- WOMEN IN SPORTS Women athletes urge Supreme Court to protect abortion rights
- AFGHANISTAN Why are Afghan women judges in hiding in Afghanistan and how are they being protected?
- NFL Dolphins QB Tagovailoa “day-to-day” after Sunday’s rib injury
- NFL Detroit Lions 17 vs 35 Green Bay Packers summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2