Liga: week one goal tally matches 20-year-old record
The 20 teams in Primera banged in 40 goals between them, matching the total from 1996-97 when the top flight contained 22 clubs.
The first round of action in Primera División witnessed 40 goals spread out among the 20 teams, with only Real Sociedad and Celta Vigo failing to find the net in week one. Barcelona and Sevilla both managed six each, while the latter match treated spectators in the Sánchez Pizjuán to 10 in total with Espanyol also hitting four.
Highest since 1996-97
The deluge of goals was the highest total in a single Liga week since 1996-97, which also opened with a 40-goal haul. However, the league then contained 22 teams. Tenerife also bagged six on that occasion, with Oviedo and Barcelona sharing six between them (2-4).
59 goals in a wekeend in 1950-51
Last season’s opening day saw a miserly 12 goals go in and even adding the strikes that found the net in the previous season’s curtain-raiser the the total is still eight short of this weekend’s bounty. The historic Liga record for a single round of matches is considerably higher though, with 59 being banged in in the second week of action in the 1950-51 season.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up