Van Gaal "cried like a baby" when he was fired from Barcelona
Philippe Christanval, who played at Barça under the Dutch coach, revealed in an interview what happened the day Van Gaal was let go from Camp Nou
Philippe Christanval, who played at Barcelona between 2001 and 2003, has revealed in an interview with SRF what happened on the day that Louis Van Gaal was fired from the Catalan club.
The Dutchman was let go from Camp Nou in January 2003 following a 2-0 defeat to Celta Vigo.
“He came into the dressing room after hearing the news, started to talk, and all of a sudden began crying like a baby,” said the former France centre-back.
"He was really hurt"
“He was really hurt. It impacted me seeing him cry. He was a hard, cold, person, and here he was destroyed.”
Van Gaal, who was by that stage already one of the most decorated managers in world football, would later go on to win the Eredivisie with AZ, the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich, and lead the Netherlands to 3rd place at the World Cup.
After spending two seasons at Manchester United between 2014 and 2016, Van Gaal was sacked from Old Trafford in May just a day after winning the FA Cup.
Recommended in English
- NFL “Nobody is satisfied here” Brady and the Bucs are ready to take on the Eagles!
- NFL NFL: Rams' Weddle set for stunning playoff comeback against Cardinals
- NFL Tom Brady vs Jalen Hurts: wild card appearances, stats and records
- USMNT Juventus boss praises USMNT midfielder Weston McKennie
- AFCON 2022 Khazri nets brace as Eagles of Carthage soar past the Lions
- AFCON 2022 Late blunder and Kessie miss cost Elephants