Javier Saviola, starting out again at modest club in Andorra
The former Barcelona, Sevilla and Madrid player left River Plate in January and is now earning a living as assistant coach at modest Andorra-based side, Ordino.Pachuca-Wydad Casablanca live: FIFA Club World Cup
New life, new challenge
Well-travelled former player Javier Saviola has set himself and family up in Andorra where he is to begin a new stage in his career as auxiliary coach at FC Ordino, one of the more modest clubs in the Andorran league.
The 34-year-old Argentinean was put in contact with Ordino president through mutual friends and yesterday, sat in the dug-out for the first time as Ordino opened their league campaign losing 1-0 away at Lusitans.
Working with Ordino's youth team programme
Saviola's chief duties will be focused on working with the lower categories and build up experience in the formation of youth players.
It's not the first time he has been in Andorra, in 2002 he was the star guest at the Nike summer Campus and two years after that, he endorsed a charity match to raise funds for the 'Special Olympics'.
In January this year Saviola bid River Plate farewell, leaving behind him a long and highly-accomplished playing career during which he played for Barcelona, Sevilla, Real Madrid, Benfica and Monaco amongst others. With Argentina, he won the Under-20 World Cup IN 2001, ending as the tournament's top scorer in 2001 which prompted his move to Europe when he signed for Barça.
He also enjoyed stints at Málaga, Olympiacos and Hellas Verona, annd was capped 44 times at full international level with Argentina.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7